In much the same way that our home has an address, so does each device that we might use to connect to the internet from our homes. The IP addresses of our devices can be tracked to our exact position on the globe and along with that comes non-private internet usage where everything that we do is being watched and tracked by numerous outside bodies.
Why you should hide your IP
You will all have witnessed things from time to time such as how a website that you took a passing look at a few weeks ago is now being advertised incessantly every time you log into your Facebook account before – we all have.
You are getting these targeted advertisements thrown at you because they read your IP address when you visited their site. Now through using Facebook advertising, that website can target all IP addresses that have visited them whenever they go to Facebook.
That is just one such instance where your internet activity has been tracked and monitored to then be used for another reason but there are many other examples as well.
Many people are tired of the lack of privacy when using the internet and have now taken action to increase their privacy online. The best method is to hide your IP with a VPN so that you are essentially using the IP address of a server from another country when browsing the internet.
How to Hide Your IP Address with a VPN
A VPN will hide IP address that is connected to your home by rerouting your traffic via a server in a country of your choice. This means that any activity you perform online will be kept completely private as the VPN changed the IP address to one that is not connected to you at all.
There are many great VPN providers out there that will allow you to earn this privacy for a small monthly fee while there are even some free ones out there that you can use as well. The problem with free VPNs however, is that you will probably have limitations on the amount of time you can use them and the number of different servers to choose from. Furthermore, the speed and quality of the connections will also not be anywhere close to that of those that you can pay for.
When looking for a VPN to change IP address you should also be looking out for additional features too. Speed, selection of servers and a reliable connection is great but features such as a kill switch and anti-DDoS protection add so many more benefits to the VPN service that you choose and should, therefore, be considered.
Top 3 VPNs to Hide IP Address
If you are looking to hide your IP address with a VPN, you might not know where to look seeing as there are so many out there these days but we can certainly help to point you in the right direction.
We strongly recommend that you check out the following three providers if you want to hide your IP address with a VPN:
ExpressVPN is an excellent option for those of you that require a VPN to hide IP address. It has 1,700 servers in 94 different countries, allows you to use three devices per license bought and also has a kill switch feature that will prevent your original connection kicking in if the VPN connection is dropped.
If you are going to hide your IP address with a VPN, NordVPN should definitely be considered. It offers a staggering 4,000 servers in 60 countries worldwide, has an effective kill switch and will let you connect as many as 6 devices for each license that you have purchased. It is also the best value out of the three on this list as well.
CyberGhost is another great option to have if you want to hide your IP with a VPN. With 2,200 servers to choose from which are based in 59 countries, you will be able to enjoy a connection from practically anywhere. Furthermore, a kill switch is just one of many features that will make your surfing even more private.
We also have a few other notable VPN providers that are worth a little look as well. PrivateVPN, Hotspot Shield, IPVanish and Hide my Ass are all popular and trustworthy VPNs and will offer you good levels of protection and privacy when enjoying the internet.
Installing a VPN to Change an IP Address
It is not very difficult at all to install a VPN to hide IP address and it takes nothing more than it would take to install any other kind of software on your PC or device. All of this can be done in some very easy steps:
- Choose the provider of the VPN to change IP address:- When you want to hide your IP with a VPN, the first step is choosing one. We gave you a few suggestions above but you may still want to have a further look around.
- Decide on the payment plan:- Next, you will have to decide what payment plan to avail. Some will be free, others may offer a free trial and others will require a subscription over many months.
- Download the VPN client:- This can be done from the website of the chosen VPN and will take seconds usually.
- Install the chosen VPN:- Once you have downloaded the file, double-click it to execute the installation process. Simply follow the onscreen instructions and wait for it to install.
- Open the VPN and Enjoy:- Once installed the VPN client will usually open automatically. If it doesn’t, simply double-click its shortcut on the desktop. You will now be able to select a server, customize any settings you want and then connect. Private surfing is now possible for as long as you want. Just turn off the VPN whenever you are ready to use your original internet connection.