While it is a well-known fact that iOS is one of the most secure and reliable operating systems, there is always a chance that you will not get the protection you need when you use the internet. This is one reason why VPNs are so popular. A good VPN will not only give you the freedom to surf the web in whatever country you happen to be in, it will also provide you with tools to enhance your privacy and security.
However, most users find that not every free VPN for iPhone and iPad is successful, and not every VPN works with iOS. Additionally, those that do work are often not as good as users are led to believe. Access to servers, bandwidth, and protocols are often limited.
Having bought the very latest iPhone, it is quite understandable that you may not want to fork out more money on a VPN that may (or may not) do what you want.
For that reason, we’ve checked out the best FREE VPNs for iOS. Not only that, we’ve itemised the pros and cons, so you can make the decision about whether you feel investing in a paid VPN package is something that makes sense for your situation.
So let’s go on and look at the best free VPN for iPhone and iOS in general.
Best Free VPN For iPhone and iPad
There are several good reasons to use the best free VPN iPhone apps.
- Gives you access to banned websites in the country where you live
- Your IP address is masked from everyone
- Gives you additional security when surfing the internet
- Gives you protection from any type of hacking
The best VPN for iPad is the same as for the iPhone.
Need More? – Then Try Out a Paid VPN Package!
While there are numerous VPNs which claim to be free, most users will agree that in fact there are no completely free VPNs if you are looking for something that covers all the bases.
Adding to this, there are often privacy concerns about so-called free VPNs. Less than ethical logging policies and unreliable levels of encryption are just two concerns which you should be aware of in order to avoid making a mistake with these types of VPNs.
Why would you use a paid VPN?
There are certainly very definite reasons why you may choose to use a paid VPN over a free one.
- A better high-speed internet connection. This is often a very valid point, especially if you do a lot of work online.
- You can choose a specific country IP address.
- There is normally far better customer support for a paid VPN.
- Most paid VPN options have a higher level encryption system than a free option.
Editor’s Choice for best VPN for iPad and iPhone
This is one of the easiest iOS apps to master. It connects seamlessly and gives very little trouble, making it one of our top recommendations. Although this VPN is free in the beginning, you should seriously consider it. The package comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, which makes it an incredibly good option.
- Excellent online customer support. They offer one of the best support systems around.
- In excess of 1,700 servers.
- FREE 7-day trial for iPhone and iPad users.
This free VPN iOS service offers users all the advantages of its paid service. In fact, the only difference between the free and paid service is the bandwidth limit. With the paid service you get unlimited data, while with the free VPN for iOS you only get 500 MB. For most users, this amount will be sufficient, although it may become a problem for users who share P2P.
Also, this iOS app has a tendency to freeze on occasions. Having said that, it is a user-friendly package.
- Connection for up to 5 different devices at any one time
- 20 worldwide locations to select your server from
- Superior encryption of AES-256-bit
- no logs to show where you have signed in from, where you have looked, or sites you have visited
As with other free VPN for iPhone and iPad services, this VPN also has both free and paid services. The paid service offers unlimited bandwidth while the free VPN iOS gives you a bandwidth of 10GB per month. The paid service offers you 50 different server locations. Apart from that, the two packages are identical.
Windscribe has one of the best reputations for privacy. If you are a fan of Netflix, then you should know that Windscribe is able to connect to Netflix – one of the few free VPN for iOS that can do that.
- UDP, TCP, and Stealth supported protocols
- 11 server locations (paid package has 50 server locations)
- Unlimited device usage for the paid service
The fact that Betternet has over 38 million customers indicates that it is a very popular free VPN for iOS. To keep the service free, you will find sponsored apps popping up frequently. Each time you sign up for an app, Betteret makes some money, thus keeping the service free.
The main concern with Betternet is about privacy. Betternet keeps logs of all your personal data and online activities. Being based in Canada, Betternet works with the ‘Five Eyes Alliance’. This means that law enforcement agencies can access that information without Betternet or your consent. If you are happy for this to be in place, then Betternet will work for you.
- P2P whenever you want
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Excellent quality online streaming (note that the free VPN only utilizes US servers)
- All your data logged and retained by Betternet
This free VPN iOS is a rather mundane, offering the user a monthly bandwidth of just 2GB. You will only be able to connect through one device and get a mere 3 server location options. The paid package offers you more than 30 server locations, along with unlimited bandwidth. With the paid package you also get excellent security protocols, which are not available in the free VPN for iOS.
- Very basic security and protection
- Protocols PPTP, IPSec, and L2TP
- 3 servers
- Encryption of AES 256-bit
- No logs retained by Hide.me
This free VPN for iPhone and iPad is one of the most popular apps around. You will notice that the free VPN does not permit you to watch Netflix, so if this is your main reason for a free Vpn iOS, then you may want to check another system.
Additionally, you don’t have access to some of the more popular streaming sites, and only have one server available in the US. Having said that, basic encryption and security are good, particularly if you have to make use of public wi-fi.
- 1 server (many more with the paid version)
- An iOS app which is very easy to use
- Superior encryption and security
Hopefully, you can now find the best free VPN for iPhone or the best VPN for iPad now that you have read this article.
Please feel free to leave any comments and I will get back to you!